rallyroots.com results@rallyroots.com

rally results service

Unless otherwise clearly indicated, results on this site have been declared final and are therefore not subject to query or protest

Bulldog Clubman Rally 2001

Sponsored by Bulldog Security Products

Wolverhampton & South Staffs Car Club

20th October 2001

Clerk of the Course: John Trevethick

Stages: 4 (37 Stage Miles)

Venue: Dyfi, Aberhirnant & Dyfnant

Starters: 30

Winners: Ieuan Rowlands/Keith Davies (Ford Escort1.6)

Ieaun Rowlands continued his good run of results by taking an overall win on the Bulldog Clubmans Rally, although the matter had to be decided on a tie break. The Clubman Rally followed the main Bulldog Rally through its first four stages, providing a total of thirty-seven miles of competitive motoring.

Bulldog Clubman Rally 2001

Unfortunately the time penalties for SS2 Penllyn had to be cancelled after Andrew Kenny, who was running first on the road, crashed his Lancer Evo3 and blocked the stage. The incident delayed the following runners by up to four minutes.

With the second stage deleted, the results showed Rowlands, partnered by the highly experienced Keith Davies, to have exactly the same time penalties as the Forge Motorsport Engineering Escort Cosworth of Stuart Cheape/Phil Sant. The matter was therefore decided on their times over the first stage, where Rowlands had been seventeen seconds quicker.

Cheape took fastest time on the last stage through Dyfi. He might have been quicker still but for the intercooler pipe coming loose, thus leading to a loss of power. Adrian Allen/Mike Wilding had initially been declared the winners, but the cancellation of SS2 dropped them to third. Tom Taylor-Duxbury/James Greenwood took fourth in their Corsa Maxi RWD, the driver getting back up to speed during the day after a long layoff from rallying.

Keith Parry/Martyn Quant took sixth overall and the U1600 class win in their Nova, while Paul White/Richard Elliott, on their first forestry outing, took a similar car to the U1300 award.

The fastest car in the event was the Darrian T9 of Dave Brick/Richard Willis. They took the fastest times on SS1 and SS3. Having contested the F1400 series all season, they’d installed a two litre BDX motor for the Bulldog. They entered the last stage with a seventeen second lead, however halfway through the stage they went off the road and hit a tree, putting a hole in the radiator in the process.

Andrew Kenny/Steve Quine also retired in Dyfi, parking their Escort RS with a failed clutch. Earlier Duncan Goldsmith had withdrawn after the steering on his Fiesta broke on SS1.


Pos Driver Co-Driver Car Penalty
1 Ieuan Rowlands Keith Davies Ford Escort 1.6 35m 07s
2 Stuart Cheape Phil Sant Ford Escort Cosworth 35m 07s
3 Adrian Allen Mike Wilding Opel Manta 35m 42s
4 Tom Taylor-Duxbury James Greenwood Vauxhall Corsa Maxi RWD 37m 08s
5 Craig Slater Liz Jordan Ford Escort 37m 19s
6 Keith Parry Martyn Quant Vauxhall Nova 38m 09s
7 David Short Richard Crossman Ford Sierra XR 4x4 38m 30s
8 Paul White Richard Elliott Vauxhall Nova 38m 59s
9 Paul Lockett Gary Kenna Subaru Impreza 39m 58s
10 Paul Price Vicki Price Vauxhall Nova 40m 14s
11 John Pardoe Stuart Bethell Peugeot 205 GTi 40m 24s
12 Bob Hart Ian Galloway Ford Escort RS1600 40m 32s
13 Adrian Mayall Robert Hayden Alfa Romeo 33 41m 52s