rallyroots.com results@rallyroots.com

rally results service

Unless otherwise clearly indicated, results on this site have been declared final and are therefore not subject to query or protest

Barcud Road Rally

Sponsored by M C Abercabs

Barcud Motor Club

2nd/3rd August 2014

Clerk of the Course: Paul Rooke, Paul Jones & Aled Wyn Jones

Route: 100 Miles + 3 Tests

Maps: 135 & 146

Starters: 73

Winners: Ian ‘Dude’ Roberts/Gwawr Hughes (VW Golf GTi)

Ian ‘Dude’ Roberts/Gwawr Hughes continued their successful season when they emerged from a close rally-long battle to sneak the win on the Barcud Rally.

The rally opened with three tests. After these Andy Davies/Byron Jones headed the field by 18 seconds, but they crashed out soon after the start of the road sections. Gareth ‘Gog’ Jones/Justin Davies were another casualty of the night as their Escort went off the road, causing the crew slight injury.

Rhodri Evans/Emyr Jones were in second place after the tests and maintained their pace to hold a 28 second lead at Petrol. The eventual winners, who had had to stop in a Neutral Section to fix a ball joint problem on their Golf, were tied for second at this point with 2013 winners Justin Jones/Nia Hughes.

In the second half Roberts/Hughes slowly reeled in the leaders, passing them near the Finish and ending just two second ahead at the close.

Last year’s winners Jones/Hughes maintained their pace but then lost two minutes on the final section when their Escort became wedged on a triangle control. They were eventually classified in tenth.

Mark ‘GT’ Roberts/Steve Price had a bad start to the rally, losing 30 seconds to the leaders on the first test, after they were misled by a missing code board. It proved to be an expensive delay as they finished the tests in seventeenth position. They had risen to seventh by Petrol and ended in third at the Finish, 15 seconds behind the winners.

Tim Evans/Dafydd Evans put in a notable performance; on what was only the driver’s third competitive out; they took sixth place overall.

From a start number of 38 Dewi Davies/Richard Hughes were in third place after the tests but retired later on.