rallyroots.com results@rallyroots.com

rally results service

Unless otherwise clearly indicated, results on this site have been declared final and are therefore not subject to query or protest

Glyn Memorial Trophy Rally

Sponsored by Pentraeth Group

Caernarvonshire & Anglesey Motor Club

1st-2nd November 2014

Clerk of the Course: Dylan Humphreys

Stages: 16 Stages

Location: Anglesey Racing Circuit

Starters: 43 + 20 Juniors

Winners: Mark James/Christopher Brierley (BMW M3)

Junior Winners: Alexander Vassallo/Michael Gilbey (Citroen C1)

Mark Jones/Christopher Brierley made it two victories in a row when they won The Glyn Memorial Trophy Stages for the second year in succession. They started the two day 16 stage event steadily but, when darkness fell and a gale descended on Saturday evening, they put their foot down and took the lead. On Sunday they extended a 25 second overnight advantage to give their BMW M3 a final winning margin of over a minute.

Julian Jones/Mikey Herritts, fastest on SS1, made up part of the five car battle for the lead which raged for the first day. They fell back to as low as fourth but came through on Sunday to win the tight fight for the runner up spot from Roger Moran/Chris Ridge. The two crews were separated by just three seconds at the end.

Wil Owen/Rob Hopewell had started the event with a slight off on SS1 but came back by the Sunday stages to hold a solid second place. However they missed a split on SS13 and thus took a stage maximum. They continued, now in ninth place, and recovered to seventh at the Finish.

The pace setters for most of Saturday were Cliff Simmons/Andy Moss. They led from SS2 to SS6, but on SS7, the first night stage, they found that the lighting on their Darrian T90 was set to a level that blinded them in the heavy rain. They quickly fell to fifth place by the end of Day One. They had started to regain their previous day’s pace – taking fastest time on the penultimate stage – when on the final test a plug popped out on their Darrian’s engine. Their rally ended just a few hundred metres short of the line.

Neal Arden/Giles Corbett were returning after a 12 month layoff but were soon on the pace. They were part of a three way battle for sixth place on Saturday but, despite a spin on cold tyres on Sunday morning, drew clear of the rest and were rewarded with fourth place.

The Junior Rally saw victory go to Alexander Vassallo/Michael Gilbey. Vassallo made a cautious start, lying third for most of Saturday. Aided by Gilbey’s road rally experienced, they pushed on during the two night stages. This put them just one second behind the leaders , William Ceighton/Neil Colman, at the overnight halt. They then upped the pace on Sunday to win by 19 seconds.

James Williams/Unum Pila took fastest time on every stage that they completed – nine in all. They had a lead of 26 seconds when a drive shaft broke on SS7. They rejoined on Sunday but withdrew, to save any more damage, when they lost third gear.

Glyn Memorial Trophy Stages

Glyn Memorial Junior Stages